Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Etiology

Airway Genetics and Ambient Combustion Aerosol

Nylon is okay. Cotton can be a problem if musty and I'm leery of large volume such as a blanket or sweater. It may not be so much the cotton fibers - but chemical treatment or contamination. Nylon and cotton may be best for clothing.

Wool is sometimes hopeless like mothballs - other times okay such as wigwam 70% wool 30% nylon socks from Campmor - or wool felt boot liners used as warm booties for sleeping from Steger Muckluks.

Avoid polyester. In many environments the outgas is not recognized - but it is toxic and causes symptoms. Old it may be okay - but with new polyester there is a price of exposure for years.

Acrylic also has toxicity - though may depend on the type of acrylic or dye treatment. I've had sweaters with considerable odor and knit hats usually with less. The hats seem tolerable out in the air but may cause some reactivity if worn down over the face or with low air movement.

Goose down with an uncoated nylon shell - without durable water repellent finish (DWR) - may be okay. Duck down has an odor which may be intolerable - though I'm not sure if difficulties came from the down or subsequent contamination - especially by tobacco. It may be best to obtain a down sleeping bag, comforter, or coat from a mail order warehouse to avoid retail environment contamination.

Using an odorless, low residue, strong cleaner like Sport Wash (Atsko.com or Walmart Sporting Goods) may wash out contamination that has entered the down prior to purchase - though may not remove tobacco residue - if so contaminated. I've tried washing water only after purchasing a nylon shelled goose down bag and found it intolerable. Then washed with Sport Wash - it was okay. All Clear is a less effective cleaner - and residue left behind reduced loft.

The only uncoated nylon shell goose down bag I'm aware of on the market is the Mountain Hardwear Conness which may be expensive. I've used Campmor down bags which were recently discontinued. Down mummy bags may be more comfortable and last longer - less compressing of down - by sleeping under draped zipper open - with feet in the foot box.

Cotton shelled goose down comforters are a question mark. I tried LLBean but they were dusty of down or cotton fragments through the shell - which may have had a toxic odor. Cottons vary in chemical treatment.

References

Sport Wash. atsko.com

Sport Wash. walmart.com

Wigwam wool socks. campmor.com 

Wool felt boot liners. mukluks.com 

Views: 193

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by michael edward badolato jr.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service